Steering Column Repair/GM tilt no steering wheel lock

Question
Hi, thanks for any help you can give me. I have a 94(I think)GM tilt column from a Jimmy which I am installing on a kitcar. I removed the lock cylinder and had keys cut. After reinstalling I see that the wheel lock pin remains in the retracted position,(maybe it was like that before - I didn't notice). I can see it move slightly, it is about 1/8 in below the lip of the hole. The ignition pushrod and the key release lever seem to be working ok. Have I missed something in the reassembly ? Looking at the details of stripdown to get at the gear cam and spring it is something I prefer to do as last resort !. I can manage without the wheel locking. Has the end of the spring come off the groove on the pin ? I looked all through previous replies and didn't see anyting like this. Thank you for any help, Eric

Answer
locking pin spring from steeringcolumnservices.com
locking pin spring fro  
Hello Eric:

Usually, the spring that attaches to the locking pin jumps out of the sector gear where it rides.  Without being in that position, it does not follow the rotation.  It will not lock until you put it back in place, so tearing it down again is your call.
I've attached a photo of how it should look when installed properly

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan