Steering Column Repair/Steering

Question
I have a Chevy 2007 HHR , tilt column. It feels like the steering wheel is slipping after I make turns. After the turn, steering wheel slides/jerks back with no control by me. Had dealer ride it and they said not sway bar...thinks its in the column.   ANY THOUGHTS ???

Answer
Hi Brian:

You have an electric power assist (with a gearbox like mechanism) as part of the steering column.  The motor assists that gearbox.  Most likely that is the problem, it's assisting when you don't need it to, an electronic failure of the mechanism.  These columns fail quite often.
Sadly, you may need to replace the column (they come with the assist mechanism) and retail for @ $575

I hope that helps

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan