Steering Column Repair/Mercury Villager 1995 - Does not turn off

Question
Greetings,

A friend of mine has a Mercury Villager (1995). He can start the engine but cannot turn it off; we have to remove the fuel pump fuse for it to stop. We have replaced the key cylinder and the ignition switch but in vain. We can see a piece of plastic pushing the ignition switch when turning the key to start the engine but when turning the key to stop the engine, the plastic part by the ignition switch will not pull back the switch. We believe the actuator is broken. Are we correct? If so, would you have the instructions to replace it and where can we find the part? Thank you very much for your help.

Take care.

Herve

Answer
Hello Herve
Sorry about your truck.  It does sound like you have a broken rack actuator gear.  The pin comes out on the end you cannot see.  We have recently uploaded pages and a description for sale of how to rebuild the upper portion of a Ford steering column.  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions on our website. Although the example is for a Ford Mustang, the column is identical to yours
Instructions

I hope these instructions can help you.  Lastly, if you need the part.  Here is that link as well:
Actuator
That should give you what you need
Good luck

Doug
http://www.steeringcolumnservices.com/  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan