Steering Column Repair/Sloppy Steering Wheel...right side only?

Hi I have a 1985 camaro V8 automatic with a tilt steering column. The problem is the steering wheel has slop only on right side in the upper steering column. As soon as I unlock the steering wheel the steering wheel has play on the right side only. It has about one inch of play on the right side. tie-rods, idler arm, center-link and all the crossmember braces are tight. there is no stress cracks in the sub-frame. What would cause this right sided steering wheel slop on the right only when I unlock the steering and while I am driving?

Hello Steven:

I do not understand what you mean by "slop in the upper steering column...when I unlock and drive".
 Are you referring to being able to turn the steering wheel before the wheels on the road respond or are you referring to the column itself moving and not being fixed securely to the lower part of the column?

Here is a link to our company page that shows the looseness when it gets worse and offers instructions for repairing the loose tilt (like the second half of my question)
Loose tilt
Let me know if that addresses your concern, otherwise, I suggest you call and talk to us about this.  Our phone number is on top of the same webpage.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help