Steering Column Repair/1994 Buick Park Ave Steering Squeeks?

Question
On my 94 Buick Park Ave (base model - tilt column).... when I mainly turn the steering wheel to the right there is a "squeak" so to speak coming form the inside at the column.  Seems like its coming from the top where the steering wheel is, but can also hear it from underneath the dash.  Could it be a column bearing or something like that? The steering wheel seems to drag a little when turning to the right since this squeak has started.

Answer
Hello Mike:

Sorry about your squeak.  They can be annoying.
In my experience, squeaks like you describe are most often caused by a dry rubber boot and the steering shaft right near the floor.  I suggest you try spraying some WD40 right there while rotating the steering wheel and see if that is in fact where it is.  (My wife's Lexus had that exact same problem)  
The only bearings on your column are 2 near the upper end in the tilt housing and 1 at the bottom of the column where the intermediate shaft connects to the column.  Although the lower one can go bad, they don't usually.  If the upper ones go bad, you would be discussing play in the column, grinding noises and the steering wheel would be loose.  You have not mentioned any of those issues, so I am ruling out any bearing issue.

Let me know if this helps you

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan