Steering Column Repair/2001 Ford F-250 steering column

I just purchased a very used 2001 Ford F-250 Super Duty with the 7.3 engine.  The ignition has been bypassed due to an internal issue.  They key will turn but will not start the truck.  Where I believe the actuating rod would attach to the ignition switch at the base of the column has been pulled out so the truck can be started by manually moving the switch to the appropriate position.  The key will turn the ignition cylinder, so I assume its the rod that broke?  I can't seem to find any information or even a part online.  Any suggestions or tips?  Thanks.

Sorry about your truck.  It sounds like you have a broken rack actuator gear.  The pin comes out on the end you cannot see.  We have recently uploaded pages and a description of how to rebuild the upper portion of a Ford steering column.  They are broken down into step by step detailed instructions on our website. Although the example is for a Ford Mustang, the column is identical to yours

I hope these instructions can help you.  Lastly, if you need parts to repair this , here is the link for that part

Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help