Steering Column Repair/94 Buick LeSabre Shifting Problem

I have a 94 Lesabre with a problem I cannot seem to find an answer for.  It is very hard to shift INTO Park.  It will shift OUT of park, and all through the gears fine, but seems like it is hung up or something when trying to shift back in to park.

Same (hard to shift into park) if the engine is hot or cold
Same (") if on flat surface, or on a hill (either uphill or downhill).

I can get it into Park, but sometimes I have to "ram" it in. I am wondering if there is a locating pin or something inside the column that may have worked loose and is binding in the column. I checked the linkage on the top of the tranny (and lubed it with Lithium grease), but no help.

Thanks a lot

Hi Terry:
Sorry about your troubles.
There is a lot of linkage in the column that can cause this starting with the spring that gives the lever tension to the detent bracket inside the column, to the tube that runs down the column.

First you need to determine it is in the column.  Disconnect the shift linkage (I think you have linkage) under the hood where it meets the column (otherwise disconnect the cable for the shifter under the dash) and see if the shift lever still gives you trouble going into park.  If so, it is in the column.  If not, it's towards the transmission or inside the trans.
If you have a cable, that could cause this issue as well.

If you find it's in the column, I would first remove the lever and see if I can see a broken spring or pieces right where the lever goes in..that's most common.

Go from there and keep me posted if you want

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help