Steering Column Repair/1987 Chevy Steering shaft/column

Question
We have a 1987 Chevy 6.2 diesel whose steering column/shaft seems loose in the engine compartment (where it extends thru the firewall. The gear shifter either doesn't want to move at all, or works fine--it varies. The ignition doesn't seem to have any spring to it--meaning when we turn the key, once we can get it to turn, it doesn't spring back, as I'm used to ignition doing.
There are 2 holes that have been drilled down by the shifter-1on either side of the column.
Not sure why.
My question is--if we were to take this apart, without it being something obvious- we wouldn't know what was missing/broken to fix or replace it. If we were to replace the entire shaft/column, &! It ended up being something simple to fix.
Would you recommend tearing it apart to see what's wrong or just replace the whole thing?
And where can we find a good diagram or video resource for that recommendation?
Thank you so much!!

Answer
Hello Melissa:
Sorry about your truck.

My company offers exploded views for free on our website and if need be, we offer column rebuilding.  Let's start with the exploded view section so you can see what parts are inside.
You don't say what kind of Chevy and whether or not it is a tilt or fixed column, so go to this page and select something close.  Most of the columns were very similar in construction, so you won't be far off.
Then, if you want, you can contact us directly by email or by phone using the "Contact Us" page.

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan