Steering Column Repair/1990 Chevy S-10 steering column

1990 Chevy S-10 steering column with tilt ,cruse control and 5 speed.

Removed all parts down to the tilt 4 tork screws and tighten them with Loctite.

On 1st reassembly, the dimmer rod no longer activates the high beams switch. How do I reattach the rod into the dimmer switch near the column base?

On 2nd disassembly, a flat spring: 1-1/4" long, 1/4" wide with depressed hooks at both ends and with a 1/4" arch fell out and I cant find any reference to it in my Chilton manual as to it or it's installation location.

Any help will be appreciated.

Howard REED

dimmer rod installed in place
dimmer rod installed i  

key warning buzzer contact
key warning buzzer con  
Hello Howard

The dimmer rod just sits in the small hole in the dimmer witch located adjacent to the ignition switch  Just push the dimmer switch with one finger while inserting the rod into that small hole with the other hand.  If the dimmer rod does not move with the lever, then your assembly on the top is out of place.
The spring you are referring to is a pressure spring for the key warning buzzer contact.  It goes under the buzzer contact to ensure a tight fit against the lock cylinder.  The warning buzzer could still work without you having to take it apart again to install.

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help