Steering Column Repair/1995 Chevy van, G-20, V-6, automatic

Question
The shift lever on the steering column is locked in Park and will not move to another gear after engine is started (or before engine is started).
I have taken the kick cover off and lowered the steering column to see what is not moving when I try to shift out of Park and into reverse or drive.
It seems that the "ball" that sits in the slightly arced groove does not "want" to move.

Answer
Hello James:

Don't force it or you will break the ignition actuator.   You have a shift interlock mechanism that is not releasing.  On the lower section of the column you will see a black solenoid about 2" in diameter and 3" long.  It has a green and black wire going to it (I think those are colors).  Disconnect that electrical plug and you should be able to shift it.  
That is the brake shift interlock preventing you from shifting it unless you step on the brakes.  Sometimes that mechanism hangs up.  All you are doing is disconnecting that combination, so now you can shift it without touching the brakes (but the key still has to be turned on.)

Let me know if that works
If not, give me a call at my company 435-319-6011

Doug

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan