Steering Column Repair/Changing one steering type to another

I have a 1990 F-150 with tranny problems. My boyfriend has a 1984 F-150 with a 1986 engine. My issue now is, how difficult is it going to be to take the steering column from the '90 truck (it is manual 4x4) and replace the one in the '84 F-150 that has auto transmission with the shifting lever on the column?
Money is fairly tight, so if we can replace this ourselves with limited money expenditure, that would be awesome. If this is something that is going to be a serious pain in the rear, please let me know either way. Thank you.

Hi Tracy
I assume you are keeping the standard trans in the 1990 truck and are simply replacing the column.  If that is true, then the column will install very easily and should work, but you will have a shift lever inside the truck that needs to be removed and linkage under the hood at the bottom of the column (for the shift linkage) that you will not use.  You will need to secure that outside linkage so the key does not jam if it moves out of the park position.

If those assumptions are wrong, then give us a call at our company number and we can discuss it further.  435-319-6011  Steering Column Services

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help