Steering Column Repair/Tilt Steering Wheel Position

I have a 2002 S-10 Chevy with a tilt steering wheel. It is stuck in the up position. I think I released it from the down position without holding it with my other hand, so it sprang up to the lock position. When I got back in the car later, it was stuck in the up position.

I tried to push up on the wheel with all my might while pulling back on the lock pawl, but I wasn't able to dislodge the pawl.

Any other ideas or am I stuck with a disassembly situation?

Thank you for maintaining an excellent forum.

Hi Elwyn
The only way I have been able to remedy that was to do exactly as you tried.  Hyper-extend (push it even further up)it while holding the release in an attempt to release the tilt arms.  Aside from that someone needs to take it apart to see if it can be manually reset  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan

My specialties are stolen vehicles, steering column and ignition locks repair, airbag service and installation and diagnosis. My work includes both domestic (USA) vehicles and foreign designs.

30 years owning a company that specializes in steering columns, ignition & airbag related problems

GM certified, ASE certified, 4 yrs college, Mech Tech degree
I own multiple auto repair companies and can help you professionally through any of our websites at: ---- we stock many older steering column parts and can rebuild your column if you ship it to us --- we sell airbag replacement information (no parts) -- we perform investigations for many types of vehicle claims
Please feel free to contact us through any of our websites for more information or help