Steering Column Repair/Tilt Steering Wheel Position

Question
I have a 2002 S-10 Chevy with a tilt steering wheel. It is stuck in the up position. I think I released it from the down position without holding it with my other hand, so it sprang up to the lock position. When I got back in the car later, it was stuck in the up position.

I tried to push up on the wheel with all my might while pulling back on the lock pawl, but I wasn't able to dislodge the pawl.

Any other ideas or am I stuck with a disassembly situation?

Thank you for maintaining an excellent forum.

Elwyn

Answer
Hi Elwyn
The only way I have been able to remedy that was to do exactly as you tried.  Hyper-extend (push it even further up)it while holding the release in an attempt to release the tilt arms.  Aside from that someone needs to take it apart to see if it can be manually reset  

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan