Steering Column Repair/86 F-250 Steering Wheel Won't Stay Up

Question
Hi Douglas. I have a 86 F-250 and the tilt steering wheel was used one time to help assist a person into the truck. Something obviously gave because now if you put any pressure on the steering wheel it drops all the way down. If you know what might fix the problem I would appreciate it. Thanks

Answer
pin comes out
pin comes out  

worn teeth
worn teeth  
Hello Niel

Most of the time the tilt mechanism comes apart.  Depending on how long it has been like that and how much it has worn will determine if you need to repair yours or replace the tilt housing.
Here is the part you will be looking at.   tilt housing  The bar that holds the silver gear on the bottom that gives you the different tilt positions often falls out of place so it does not allow the teeth to grab the locking bar securely.  If that happened, you can put it back in place and re-seat the pin that holds it.  Other times, the teeth on the silver gear in the housing itself are too worn to hold tilt positions.  You will need to take it apart to examine the cause and remedies.

Here are instructions we sell on how to disassemble it to see if you need the part.  Although the instructions are labeled for another part, it takes you exactly where you need to go to work on your problem.
Instructions
Good luck

Steering Column Repair

Douglas Gan