Strength Training/Police Training Program

I preparing to leave for police training and certain physical benchmarks need to be completed during the training and I would love to meet those before I attend. I was wondering if you could suggest a workout regime based on those benchmarks?

1.5 mile run - 9:00 (currently running at this pace)
3 mile run - 19:00 (currently running at 22:00)
Push ups - 70 (currently 30-40)
Pull-ups - 18 (currently 6)
Bench Press - 250Lbs 1 rep max (Currently benching 200lbs)

Another test exists which is basically a 3 minute maximal test involving jumping, running, climbing stairs, etc. but I currently pass the test so I wont get into detail in it, just that maximal 3-4 minute workouts are required as well.

Some physical characteristics
BMI - 20% (as tested by kinesiology students with skinfolds)
Weight - 190lbs
Height - 5'11
Training - Mix of endurance/strength usualy do sets from 8-12 reps and 3-4 times. I train all muscle groups with 2 consecutive days and then take 1 off. I weight train approx 3-4 times a week and spend 30-60 mins on those days on elipticals and treadmills. I also train in Jiu Jitsu and Kickboxing 4-5 days a week for 1-2 hours a session so some days are both.

I want to follow a very aggressive training plan that can get me meeting these targets soon but also do not want to get injured before I go to train, I will have 1-4 weeks notice that I am leaving therefore would like to plan to have 1 week of recovery time maximum before I go. Thank you for your help.

I would try this workout:

Monday, Wednesday, Friday:

Bench Press 6 sets of 3 reps of however much weight you can handle then increase little by little each workout.  3 minutes of rest between sets.

This is the correct way do to a bench press:

7 sets of 3 reps of pullups with 1 minute rest in between sets.  Each workout decrease rest by 5 seconds until you can do 21 pullups.

Pushup 3 sets of 25 reps starting with 1 minute rest in between sets.  Each workout decrease rest by 5 seconds until you can do 75 pushups.  

Bent over rows 3 sets of 8 reps

Squats or Lunges  3 sets of 8 reps

Calf raises 3 sets of 8 reps

superset of 1 minute plank for the abs and superman holds for a minute.

Tuesday, Thursday, & Saturday:

I would forget the elliptical and treadmill and run outside.

Start with a 3 sets of 6 minute miles resting 3 minutes between sets and decreasing it little by little until you can do 3 miles in less than 19  minutes.

Let me know how it works out.  

Strength Training

Carlos Torres

I can answer questions about strength training, bodybuilding, nutrition, supplementation, fitness, exercise

ACE certified personal trainer for 5 years, bodybuilding for 17 years

American Council on Exercise

RIO - the official magazine of the Riverwalk

Bachelor's of exercise and sports science