Strength Training/What is too much at my age?

Question
Kristina
I am 53. I have no major health issues except for being at least 40 pounds overweight.
In the last few months, thanks to a low fat (tried low carb for years didnt work) diet and a daily session on my elliptical, I am very slowly losing weight, about a pound a month.
My job is sedentary-I sit for eight hours a night driving, and since I work nights,I have a lot of time during the day to exercise.
Would it be overdoing it to increase my daily elliptical sessions from the current 30 minutes to an hour or more?
I have found that for me,anyway, long, cardio sessions seem to burn fat better than 'HIIT' sessions.
I dont find them boring as I watch soccer on TV while on the elliptical, and I dont hurt afterwards, which is why I had to sell the treadmill which was hard on my feet and knees.
Other than being a couch potato, I dont have much else to do until I go to work but exercise. My previous jobs were quite physical and I needed to rest-forget exercising. I figure doing more low impact exercise should be OK, but I dont want to overdo it at my age.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hi Barry!  Sorry for the delay...had some family emergencies.  You are never too old for exercise.  As long as your doctor doesn't have any restrictions for you then increasing your elliptical exercise is great.  Have you tried adding some strength training?  As we age we lose muscle mass and bone density and with less muscle you burn less calories so I would try to add a couple days of some total body strength training.  You can add strength training and do more cardio, just add a little bit at a time so your body gets used to it.  Good luck!
Kristina

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway