Strength Training/How much daily exercise is too much?

Hi Igor
I am 53. I have no major health issues except for being at least 40 pounds overweight.
In the last few months, thanks to a low fat (tried low carb for years didnt work) diet and a daily session on my elliptical, I am very slowly losing weight, about a pound a month.
My job is sedentary-I sit for eight hours a night driving, and since I work nights,I have a lot of time during the day to exercise.
Would it be overdoing it to increase my daily elliptical sessions from the current 30 minutes to an hour or more?
I have found that for me,anyway, long, cardio sessions seem to burn fat better than 'HIIT' sessions.
I dont find them boring as I watch soccer on TV while on the elliptical, and I dont hurt afterwards, which is why I had to sell the treadmill which was hard on my feet and knees.
Other than being a couch potato, I dont have much else to do until I go to work but exercise. My previous jobs were quite physical and I needed to rest-forget exercising. I figure doing more low impact exercise should be OK, but I dont want to overdo it at my age.
Thanks for your thoughts!

Hey bud,

Great question.

I see a few good things in what you're currently doing. Namely, you are listening to your body. You realize that a low carb diet doesn't work for you. You realize that long, slow cardio is better for you. That's good.

In my opinion, I wouldn't do either a low carb or a low fat diet. I would do a low processed food diet. The reason being is that a low carb diet that is mostly processed food is unhealthy, but so is a low fat diet.

Here are some easy guidelines to help you drop fat:

Eat at least 2 servings of veggies per day.
Eat at least 2 servings of meat, fish or seafood per day.

Note the "at least" part. If you want more, by all means, have more. Once you've eaten the minimum requirements, eat whatever else you want.

As for training, resistance training is far more important than cardio for fat loss, so I would definitely focus your efforts there.

Here is a blog that I wrote on the topic:

You might also want to read this blog that I wrote on the topic of excess cardio:

I hope that helps.

Good luck!

Strength Training

Igor K

I specialize in the over 40 age group. I can answer questions about strength training, aerobic exercise, weight loss, nutrition and athletic training. I can not give medical advice.

I was selected as one of the top 5 personal trainers in Toronto by the Metro News newspaper, and I had an interview featured in a book called "Interviews with Top Personal Trainers." I was the only Canadian trainer in there.

Ontario Kinesiology Association Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology Nutritionists Networking Group Can-Fit-Pro

- My own blog: - Interviews with top personal trainers - Healthy Living Magazine - In a book called "Unlimited Progress: How You Can Unlock Your Body's Potential."

B.A. (Specialized Honours) kinesiology and health science Ontario Kinesiology Association (OKA) Certified Kinesiologist (CK) Biosignature Practitioner Certified Trigenics Trainer (CTT) Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology (CSEP) Certified Personal Trainer (CPT) Can-Fit-Pro Personal Trainer Specialist (PTS)

- Selected as one of the top 5 personal trainers in Toronto by the Metro News newspaper - The only Canadian to be featured in a book called "interviews with top personal trainers."