Strength Training/Would increasing body composition make me faster?

Question
I currently train for boxing. Now in boxing speed is king, I have pretty fast hands now. Now I weigh 230 pounds at about 21 percent body fat. Now if I increased my body composition to 220 pounds with 13 percent body fat would the make me faster or help maintain my speed while increasing strength and power.

Since that extra weight will be functional muscle instead of fat.

Answer
Kurt, great question and I think it boils down to simple math.  So if you are at 230 now with 21 percent body fat, that means you have 48.3 pounds of fat and 181.7 pounds of muscle.  If you get down to 220 with 13 percent fat, that means you have 28.6 pounds of fat and 191.4 pounds.  So you get to gain 10 more pounds of muscle and lose around 20 pounds of fat.  You'll look leaner and have more muscle to be explosive.  So yes, you will be quicker cause you've lost some extra weight, but added muscle to allow you that ability to be faster.  You might even improve your strength as well.  Good luck.

Strength Training

Adam Kessler