Strength Training/weight loss and weight training

Question
Joe,

I have a ten year old son that is 5ft 5in tall and weighs 170lbs. Not completely sloppy because he does spend most of his time playing baseball, football, and hunting and fishing. He's not a couch potato. I'm forty years old, 6ft 1in and 300lbs. I have been huge my whole life and a little late realize that I don't want my son going through what I went through growing up.
  I'm looking for suggestions to help both of loss weight and get healthier. I have a friend that opened a gym close to us that I have considered joining but I'm not sure about the weight training for a ten year old. My friends degree is in this field and told me we could get him stronger using different methods such as bands and body weight.
  I would like to know a unbiased opinion of what another professional would do.

Answer
Hey Mark, strength training is fine for your son as long as he has proper supervision and training by a certified strength and conditioning specialist from the National Strength and Conditioning Association or the American College of Sports Medicine. General guidelines are proper warmup,  focus on proper form, light to medium intensity, stretching after exercise, plenty of water, and constant supervision.

Strength Training

Joe Gunn