Strength Training/Does the case of a medicine ball matter?

Question
Hi

there are two kind of medicine balls on the market..or so I've noticed.

Out of leather and out of rubber. the leather ones are more expensive.

I reckon you have some experience with medicine balls, even if you don't - as a strength conditioning specialist and an exercise physiologist I reckon you've worked with enough equipment to have good judgment of equipment and would be able to quickly identify a gimmicky feature over a helpful one..

I wonder if the leather ones are any better - I actually think they are not, I would imagine a leather one doesn't absorb sweat and so it becomes slippery, and even without sweat - a non-leather one has tiny grooves in it to strengthen one's catch as where a leather one does not have such grooves.

Under said premises, a leather one seems gimmicky and over priced, but I'm not sure those premises are true, also I might miss some actual benefit to a leather medicine ball

What do you think?

Answer
Yes I have worked with different types of medicine ball. You will see that there is a difference with the rubber version as those can be used more for power exercises because they can bounce and be thrown. Medicine ball equipment I find is harder to clean and if you sweat it can develop a smell after over extended use. Personally I prefer the rubber versions and there grip is also different and the way you will hold it during an exercise. Ever last has a good leather medicine ball brand but for my purposes id stick with rubber.

Strength Training

Daniel