Strength Training/Does the case of a medicine ball matter?

there are two kind of medicine balls on the market..or so I've noticed.

Out of leather and out of rubber. the leather ones are more expensive.

I reckon you have some experience with medicine balls, even if you don't - as a strength conditioning specialist and an exercise physiologist I reckon you've worked with enough equipment to have good judgment of equipment and would be able to quickly identify a gimmicky feature over a helpful one..

I wonder if the leather ones are any better - I actually think they are not, I would imagine a leather one doesn't absorb sweat and so it becomes slippery, and even without sweat - a non-leather one has tiny grooves in it to strengthen one's catch as where a leather one does not have such grooves.

Under said premises, a leather one seems gimmicky and over priced, but I'm not sure those premises are true, also I might miss some actual benefit to a leather medicine ball

What do you think?

Yes I have worked with different types of medicine ball. You will see that there is a difference with the rubber version as those can be used more for power exercises because they can bounce and be thrown. Medicine ball equipment I find is harder to clean and if you sweat it can develop a smell after over extended use. Personally I prefer the rubber versions and there grip is also different and the way you will hold it during an exercise. Ever last has a good leather medicine ball brand but for my purposes id stick with rubber.

Strength Training

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation and lifestyle behavior changes.

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

NSCA; The National Strength and Conditioning Association ACSM; The American College of Sports Medicine CSEP; The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology NASM; The National Academy of Sports Medicine

You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.