Strength Training/gaining weight

Question
I will be new to working out. I have worked out before, but not in many years. I am 26 years old, 5'11 and weight about 145 lbs. I play sports now a couple times a week to stay active and am on my feet all day at work. I ride my bike to and from work.

I have a couple goals when going back to the gym:

1) Strengthen my quadriceps - they are very weak and I have weak knees as well.

2)Become stronger and gain weight - I am looking to gain weight, so I assume that will get me bigger, and would like to focus on making my muscles strong rather than very large

There are other things that are importnant to me, increasin stamina, working on my core, but those two are my main focuses.

Any information on the amount of weight, reps, excercises, whether I should hit every muscle at the gyms or a few, go to the gym frequently or a few days a week. Direction on a source for reliable information would also suffice and be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Answer
Hi Kareem!
Very sorry for the delay as I was in the hospital with pneumonia. Glad to hear you are going back to the gym.  It's really hard to give specifics you are looking for over the internet without really knowing and seeing where you are at currently.  I would check your gym and see if there is a personal trainer there.  He/She should at least be able to give you a free complimentary session and guide you in the right direction.  I understand you want to work on your quadriceps but I would need to evaluate to really see where your strengths and weakness are.  If your gym doesn't offer this then I would see if there is another gym near you that offers a free week with a free personal training consultation that could help you get started as well.  Then only stay if you like it and if not go back to your gym.  If you can afford it then I would really suggest working with a trainer for these specific requests.  If not you can join a website like www.sharecare.com and it will ask you a bunch of questions and you tell them what you want out of your workout and it can give you workouts you can use at home or at the gym.  All of this will also depend on you getting a physical from your doctor and cleared for exercise.  Hope this helps you!  Good luck!

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway