Strength Training/home training for chronic back pain

(1) Besides chin-ups and pushups, what can I do at home for overall body strengthening without compressing my spine? (2) Can I do anything to strengthen muscles to resist spinal compression? (3) should this have been a YOGA question?  I am 78 with chronic low back pain when on my feet (lower right side). MRIs show some stenosis and natural fusion and possibly some arthritis, perhaps due to twenty years of aikido. Pain varies from zero to occasionally severe. I ballroom dance extensively. I have a chin-up bar and hand weights. I must do considerable stretching in the morning before walking the dog so I can stand straighter.

Thanks for your question Eric. First off id ask you to see your doctor before any intense physical activity since you have a spinal problem and see what they would say. Its important to have some sort of gauge that we can set for the intensity of exercise and usually the doctor determines that.

With that being said you should choose exercises considered non weight bearing because it does not compress the spine. Some good options to consider are swimming and bicycling. As for resistance exercises chin ups are considered weight bearing because it loads on the spine so it would be most advisable to avoid that exercise. One other option I would consider is using a TRX suspension trainer because you can adjust the intensity of the exercises and make them as intense or less intense as possible so you dont put too much stress on the spine.

As for your stretching yes keep it up it does help a lot to alleviate tight muscles.

Hope this helps

Strength Training

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation and lifestyle behavior changes.

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

NSCA; The National Strength and Conditioning Association ACSM; The American College of Sports Medicine CSEP; The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology NASM; The National Academy of Sports Medicine

You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.