Strength Training/Weightlifting World Records.

Question
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
QUESTION: Dear Igor

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)

What is the approach or process a fitness trainer in Gymnasium will suggest for a person who says "I want to create a world record in the next Olympic games for my country in both "Clean and Jerk" and "Snatch" Category by lifting Maximum Number of Weights" ?

Is Body building and Weight lifting are two different categories ?

Can Body Builders like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger
and all other Body Builders achieve this feat ?

Is it the sheer strength, might and power required for this achievement ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

Thank you for the good question.

Admittedly, I am not a specialist in Olympic-style weightlifting, but here is my advice.

If a person came to me and said they wanted to set a world record in the next Olympics for both the clean and jerk and the snatch, I'd say it can't be done. Olympic weightlifters train for 8-15 years before they actually set records. So I don't believe it can be done in 3-4 years.

And yes, body building and weightlifting are two very different sports with very different goals.

And no, Stallone and Arnold could not achieve this feat. First and foremost because of their age, but even in their prime, they couldn't achieve this feat for the simple reason that they didn't train for it. They trained using a very different methodology.

Yes, you need sheet strength and power, but you also need great nutrition, supplementation and lifestyle.

I hope this helps.

Igor.

QUESTION: Dear Igor

Thank you.

Suppose you are a fitness trainer and some client/s approaches you for this assignment by offering you a good amount, what will be your approach for the client/s who wants to achieve world record by lifting maximum weights in both "Clean and Jerk" and "Snatch" Category ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: Hi Prashant,

It depends on the age a person starts. Most world-class olympic lifters start at 14-16 or earlier. If a person starts after about this age, it's close to impossible to break records, so my first suggestion would be start early enough.

My second suggestion is for 6-12 months, work with extremely light weights to build very good technique in these exercises.

After that, you may need to train 2-3 times per day for many years to get to that level.

There isn't just a single training program that gets a person all the way to record-breaking levels. The program changes as the lifter's body and needs changed. Furthermore, each person is individual, so without specifically assessing each person, I can't say what the best approach will be.

QUESTION: Dear Igor

Thank you.

Is this process mentioned below from my side could be a logical approach for this achievement ?

If a Human being weighing 80 kg in the category and the Olympic world record
is say 270 kg and he/she wants to break this world record by lifting 300 kg
and create a New world record then :

To achieve 300 kg maximum weight lift, Start on day one with - 10 kg, on day 5 - 20 kg, on day 15 - 30 kg  and so on ..... till you lift 300 kg maximum weight.

As you mentioned correctly, specific exercises for shoulders, leg muscles, biceps, triceps etc including the right diet plan, techniques for both clean and jerk, snatch weightlifting categories will be part of every day program.

Will the above method work ?. i.e. To achieve a maximum  weight lift of 300 kg, one starts with a small weight and then increase the weights as days progresses.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
Hi Prashant,

Your general thinking is right that you should increase weight over time. But if people could increase their weight as linearly and as quickly as you mention, we'd see world records that are 10,000kg, not 270kg.

You can make very fast progress for the first 6 months to a year, and then progress really slows down.

Remember, the current world record holders had to train for 8-15 years just to get to their world records.

So no, unfortunately the above method will not work.

Strength Training

Igor K