Strength Training/Weightlifting World Records.

Question
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
Weight Lifting
Weight Lifting  
QUESTION: Dear Joe

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Weightlifting
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clean_and_jerk
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snatch_(weightlifting)

What is the approach or process a fitness trainer in Gymnasium will suggest for a person who says "I want to create a world record in the next Olympic games for my country in both "Clean and Jerk" and "Snatch" Category by lifting Maximum Number of Weights" ?

Is Body building and Weight lifting are two different categories ?

Can Body Builders like Sylvester Stallone and Arnold Schwarzenegger
and all other Body Builders achieve this feat ?

Is it the sheer strength, might and power required for this achievement ?

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

ANSWER: I would evaluate the person's condition at present, experience in weight lifting, then look at many other factors, age, genetics, coaching available, etc. and then discuss some realistic goals. Those above are not realistic to start with.

Body building entails developing muscle mass to the extreme whereas weight lifting is more of an athletic skill.

Body builders must change their training routines to achieve in weight lifting. Those you used as examples are too old.

Strength, power, and athletic skill are required for an olympic weight lifter.

QUESTION: Dear Joe

Thank you.

Is this process mentioned below from my side could be a logical approach for this achievement ?

If a Human being weighing 80 kg in the category and the Olympic world record
is say 270 kg and he/she wants to break this world record by lifting 300 kg
and create a New world record then :

To achieve 300 kg maximum weight lift, Start on day one with - 10 kg, on day 5 - 20 kg, on day 15 - 30 kg  and so on ..... till you lift 300 kg maximum weight.

As you mentioned correctly, specific exercises for shoulders, leg muscles, biceps, triceps etc including the right diet plan, techniques for both clean and jerk, snatch weightlifting categories will be part of every day program.

Will the above method work ?. i.e. To achieve a maximum  weight lift of 300 kg, one starts with a small weight and then increase the weights as days progresses.

Awaiting your reply,

Thanks & Regards,
Prashant S Akerkar

Answer
The process you indicated is generally correct meaning you use progressive resistance to achieve a specific goal. That being said, it is a much longer process and requires many years in most cases. Initially you make rapid gains but as training progresses, it becomes harder and harder to make gains.  

Strength Training

Joe Gunn