Strength Training/leg exercise

I do a  body-weight squat and hold it for 2 minutes, like a squat stance. I'll like to know can this develop the quadricep/thigh muscles? Is this bad for the knees, holding it?

What exercise can I do to develop my leg muscles? I do not have any weights at home and can't afford to go to the gym, depending on my bodyweight somewhat. I hope you can recommend some exercise to develop the lower body given the limitations above.

Thank you. Your reply is very much appreciated.

Hey Eddie, a lot of folks who are getting ready to go skiing use that (except against a wall) to strengthen their legs. I recommend lunges, one leg squats off a bench, and step ups to some type of platform or bench that is about mid thigh height. 3-4 sets of 10-15 reps with one min rest between sets will give you all you want....

Strength Training

Joe Gunn

Master's Degree with majors in Exercise Science and Psychology. Teach college courses in weight training, jogging/fitness, and wellness. Expertise include strength training, long distance running, sprinting, general fitness, weight loss, and nutritional education.

Over 30 years as a personal trainer of athletes as well as average individuals.

Certified strength and Conditioning Specialist with the the National Strength and Conditiong Association. Certified Club coach with the United States Weightlifting Association. Certifed Level II long distance coach with the USA Track & Field.

M.S with majors in exercise science and psychology