Strength Training/what leg exercise?

Dear Kristina

I do a body-weight squat and hold it for 2 minutes, like a squat stance. I'll like to know can this develop the quadricep/thigh muscles? Is this bad for the knees, holding it?

What exercise can I do to develop my leg muscles? I do not have any weights at home and can't afford to go to the gym, depending on my bodyweight somewhat. I hope you can recommend some exercise to develop the lower body given the limitations above.

Thank you. Your reply is very much appreciated.

Hi Edward,

Yes, that exercise can develop quadriceps and other thigh muscles however, if you have any knee pain or knee issues then it is not something you should do.  I would ask your doctor first to make sure it is ok for you to do.  Here are some body weight exercises you can do for your legs:
Hope that helps!  

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway

I can answer any questions pertaining to weight loss, strength training, cardio training, lifestyle changes and emotional eating. I have worked with men and women of all ages including children. I've worked with women trying to lose postnatal weight, men and women with injuries and teens/kids needing to lose weight or enhance athletic skills and many more.

Having struggled with weight all my life as well as many health problems such as Lupus and Crohnís disease Iíve researched all my adult life on how to lose weight and keep it off and how to stay healthy when you are sick. I have my own personal training company, KrisCross Training, and Iíve been helping men, women and children get healthy and stay healthy for years. Check out my website,, or my blog

National Academy of Sports Medicine IDEA Health and Fitness Association Sharecare Elite Trainer AllExperts Expert in Strength Training, Womenís Fitness, Aerobics and Living with Obesity

BS in Sports Management-Fitness and Nutrition Track-California University of PA MS in Health and Physical Education-North Georgia College and State University NASM Certified Personal Trainer CPR and AED Certified Venice Nutrition Certified Nutrition Coach

I have worked with a variety of clients including high school cheerleaders and runners, men and women of all ages, as well as help brides lose weight for their wedding. I've also worked with kids and teens who want to lose weight and become more active in sports.