Strength Training/Problem with Push Ups

Hi there!
I am a 5'3", 31 year old mother of two trying to get healthy and get in shape (I am overweight at 155 lbs, my goal is 120). I have a problem with doing push-ups. The problem is that whenever I try to do a few, I get pain in my wrists. I think it's because I have thin wrists and have too much weight pressing down on them. I have tried doing girly modified push-ups, but they don't seem to take any of the weight off my wrists. Because of this pain, I am very discouraged because I can't do more than about three push- ups. I don't have any form of health issues like arthritis or carpal tunnel or anything. Is there anything you can recommend, either in form or an alternative exercise that is just as effective? Thanks in advance!

Hi Shawna!
Don't get discouraged...just take things slow.  Doing push ups puts a lot of stress on your wrists.  I would start with wall push ups and change the angle against the wall to where you feel comfortable.  Once you are comfortable I would move to a couch and hold on to the back of the couch (a heavy couch...if it moves then put weight on the couch).  Change your angle on the couch as you progress.  Do chest presses, bicep and tricep exercises to build up those muscles and then eventually you can go back to trying to do normal push ups as you get stronger.  I would also recommend seeing a doctor and/or physical therapist to make sure nothing serious is going on.  
Good luck!

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway

I can answer any questions pertaining to weight loss, strength training, cardio training, lifestyle changes and emotional eating. I have worked with men and women of all ages including children. I've worked with women trying to lose postnatal weight, men and women with injuries and teens/kids needing to lose weight or enhance athletic skills and many more.

Having struggled with weight all my life as well as many health problems such as Lupus and Crohnís disease Iíve researched all my adult life on how to lose weight and keep it off and how to stay healthy when you are sick. I have my own personal training company, KrisCross Training, and Iíve been helping men, women and children get healthy and stay healthy for years. Check out my website,, or my blog

National Academy of Sports Medicine IDEA Health and Fitness Association Sharecare Elite Trainer AllExperts Expert in Strength Training, Womenís Fitness, Aerobics and Living with Obesity

BS in Sports Management-Fitness and Nutrition Track-California University of PA MS in Health and Physical Education-North Georgia College and State University NASM Certified Personal Trainer CPR and AED Certified Venice Nutrition Certified Nutrition Coach

I have worked with a variety of clients including high school cheerleaders and runners, men and women of all ages, as well as help brides lose weight for their wedding. I've also worked with kids and teens who want to lose weight and become more active in sports.