Strength Training/Weight?

Question
Kristina
I am 55, 5'7" tall.
As a young guy in my early 20's, living on my own, broke, and subsisting on toast and cigarettes, I weighed 130 pounds. I didnt look like a concentration camp survivor, but that was my lightest weight as an adult.
A few years later, I got into bodybuilding, and found I was a fast gainer. I put on over fifty pounds of muscle. My legs, chest, back, and arms got pretty muscular. I got married, had kids, and although still working out, more fat went on then muscle.
At my heaviest a few years ago I was almost 250. Lets say on the beach I didnt look obese but was noticeably overweight.
I have since managed to get down to 230 pounds with the help of a low carb diet. I tried low fat and very low calorie but this seems to be the only one that works for me. I still eat lots of fruit and veggies, just no sugar, bread, potatoes, etc.
Going by the height and weight charts, BMI, etc., I am extremely  obese. There are no charts for ex bodybuilders.
I am starting to feel lighter and look pretty good in the mirror,  even a hint of my old six pack is returning!
My question is what is a healthy weight to shoot for? Would 200 be too heavy or too light? I had to switch to a size extra large shirt after lifting weights, and still wear that size, though it is a wee bit loose now. Most of my friends that are my height wear small to large. Maybe I should shoot for wearing size large comfortably?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Answer
Hi Bud,
BMI is really just a generic estimator of body fat percentage by weight vs height so it definitely can tell many bodybuilders that they are overweight or obese.  It is really hard to say what would be a good goal for you without knowing your muscle vs fat ratio.  I would recommend getting a more accurate fat percentage reading if you can but it really depends on what makes you comfortable.  As long as you don't have any health issues and you are comfortable with your weight then that is really what to go on.  As far as shirt size, if you are really muscular then that puts things in a different perspective.  I don't know if you belong to a gym or not but you can usually get tested at a gym and if you don't belong to one you can get a free week at most gyms and get a body fat percentage test.  That way you have an idea of what your ratio really is and what is a good percentage to work towards and maybe not so much the weight.  Good luck!

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway