Strength Training/Weight Training Regarding Calorie Intake

Question
Hello, I am a 20 year old male and fairly muscular and slim. I boxed (amateur) for around 4 years from 15 upwards and have been used to a healthy diet but worryingly low calories compared (1500 - 2000) to my recommended needs (2500 - 3000). I have started weight training 3 times a week recently as I have given up boxing and want to pack on some size. The only problem is I have been told that I need to eat around 3000 calories a day to see an increase in muscle size, but since upping the calories I seem to have added quite a substantial amount of body fat for the last month with minimal muscle. I eat mainly clean foods such as; porridge oats, lean meats/fish, brown bread (rice, pasta) and consume 2 whey protein shakes a day (one post workout and one mid morning). Could this be due to that fact that my body is used to being under nourished and will take time to adjust or am I doing something wrong? (20 years old, male, 75 kg and 175 cm tall) Thanks in advance. Harry

Answer
Hey Harry, you will have to take a closer look at the calories you are taking in versus the calories you are expending with your strength training. For me to evaluate your conditioning, I would need to know height, weight, complte exercise routine, etc. In the mean time just count your total intake to see exactly how many you are consuming and go from there.

Strength Training

Joe Gunn