You are here:

Strength Training/To become a personal Trainer


My son is 18 years old and is very involved with Exercise and health.   We would like to know what is necessary to become a personal trainer (as a minimum since he started college and would like to pursue a career in physical therapy).   He would like at some  point to be able to work in a gym but do not know what certifications are necessary and where to get the training and to take any test.  How is the job market for people who graduate from Athletic training programs at the Bachelor and Mater degrees?

Thank you

There are several national certifications that one can choose. I recommend the American College of Sports Medicine or the National Strength and Conditioning Association certifications. You can get info from these organizations along with study materials for their exam. The job market is very good for persons with a national certification along with a college degree in a related field such as exercise science or exercise physiology.  

Strength Training

All Answers

Answers by Expert:

Ask Experts


Joe Gunn


Master's Degree with majors in Exercise Science and Psychology. Teach college courses in weight training, jogging/fitness, and wellness. Expertise include strength training, long distance running, sprinting, general fitness, weight loss, and nutritional education.


Over 30 years as a personal trainer of athletes as well as average individuals.

Certified strength and Conditioning Specialist with the the National Strength and Conditiong Association. Certified Club coach with the United States Weightlifting Association. Certifed Level II long distance coach with the USA Track & Field.

M.S with majors in exercise science and psychology

©2017 All rights reserved.