Strength Training/Bicep pain

Hi Daniel,
About 6 weeks ago, I used to experience pain in my right biceps when training it with weight. That pain was only noticeable during the exercise itself, but it was so uncomfortable that I started training without weights when my biceps were involved and that worked for some time. However, about 3 weeks ago, the pain was there even when I trained without weights and whenever my arms were engaged (I mean even when I do punches and arm swings). I stopped exercising for some time so that I rest my biceps, but the pain won't go away. I now feel the same kind of pain when carrying my baby girl. Moreover, my right biceps feels tight during the whole day without any strain. The pain extends from my inner elbow to the lower half of my biceps (right arm only).
P.S. I sometimes used to sleep with my baby lying on that part of my arm, but I used to alternate arms.
I hope you can help me with this.
Thanks in advance.

Hey Dina

It looks like you might have overused a certain muscle in your biceps and that is what is causing the pain. I would recommend trying to limit the use until the pain goes down, use ice 2-3 times a day for 15 minutes to reduce the inflammation and once the pain goes down include bicep stretching exercises (hold for 15-30 seconds and do that for 2 sets). You can do these stretches every other day as well. I have had the same problem as well in the past during my early years of training so I understand in your situation how frustrating it is when that pain is there.

When the pain disappears after several weeks try including weight resistance activities for the biceps but limit its use to 15-20 repetitions (use light weight loads). You need to restrengthen the area so light weights must be used. If your pain continues to persist and you find your in extreme pain please see your physician.

It is also a good thing that you are using the alternate arm, it is your body telling you to readjust and limit use of the arm with pain.

Hope this helps

Strength Training

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation and lifestyle behavior changes.

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

NSCA; The National Strength and Conditioning Association ACSM; The American College of Sports Medicine CSEP; The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology NASM; The National Academy of Sports Medicine

You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.