Strength Training/deadlifting

Hello, Joe Gunn

I have a couple of questions regarding the deadlift.

I've seen some people dropping the weights entirely ( so the plates touch the floor ) in each repetition when performing deadlifts.

Does it have any difference from doing the deadlifts without dropping the weights to the floor?

Also, how can I progressively increase the weights in my deadlifts and avoid a plateau?

Thank you

there are some who prefer to drop the weights thinking that lowering can increase possibility of injury. Have not seen any research to support this idea. Follow the principles of strength training to increase weight and avoid plateaus. Progressive resistance and vary your routine every few months. For instance 5 sets of 5 for a while then 3 sets of 10 then 5 sets of 3...etc.

Strength Training

Joe Gunn

Master's Degree with majors in Exercise Science and Psychology. Teach college courses in weight training, jogging/fitness, and wellness. Expertise include strength training, long distance running, sprinting, general fitness, weight loss, and nutritional education.

Over 30 years as a personal trainer of athletes as well as average individuals.

Certified strength and Conditioning Specialist with the the National Strength and Conditiong Association. Certified Club coach with the United States Weightlifting Association. Certifed Level II long distance coach with the USA Track & Field.

M.S with majors in exercise science and psychology