Strength Training/Fitness

Question
Dear mr Gunn,

I am a 21 year old College student and I haven't practised any sports in years.
About a month ago I started going to the gym to get in shape. In the gym I go to there is no personal coaching or anything. So for the past month I have been just following some routines I found online, but I have the idea I'm not doing the right thing.

What I want to achieve:
-train cardio (I would like to take part in a run in the end of april = 16 km/10 miles)
-increase muscles (chest, arms, legs, shoulders, ...)

I will probably have to change my eating habits also, but i guess that depends from person to person. I am able to go to the gym 5 days a week (sun-thu) but I think it is best I go 3 times a week (sun tue thur).
I am 1m84/ +- 6ft and I weigh 69 kilograms/ 10st 12.1 Ibs

Im looking forward to your reply!

Will

Answer
I recommend a whole body workout 3 days a week and include exercises like bench or incline press, lat pull or bent rows, military press, arm curls, tricep extensions, leg press, squat, leg curls, calf raises, and hyperextensions. 2-3 sets of 10-12 reps, with 1-2 mins rest between sets. In addition add core exercises such as various plank positions. For your cardio I would start jogging 4-5 days a week gradually increasing my time and distance until I could run 10 miles if that is your goal. Add about 10% week in distance until you reach your goal.

Strength Training

Joe Gunn