Strength Training/Fitness

Question
Dear Mrs Crossway,

I am a 21 year old College student and I haven't practised any sports in years.
About a month ago I started going to the gym to get in shape. In the gym I go to there is no personal coaching or anything. So for the past month I have been just following some routines I found online, but I have the idea I'm not doing the right thing.

What I want to achieve:
-train cardio (I would like to take part in a run in the end of april = 16 km/10 miles)
-increase muscles (chest, arms, legs, shoulders, ...)

I will probably have to change my eating habits also, but i guess that depends from person to person. I am able to go to the gym 5 days a week (sun-thu) but I think it is best I go 3 times a week (sun tue thur).
I am 1m84/ +- 6ft and I weigh 69 kilograms/ 10st 12.1 Ibs

Im looking forward to your reply!

Will

Answer
Hi William!
Very sorry for the delay as I was in the hospital with pneumonia. Well William I would have to see you in person and know what you are doing to see if you are doing the right thing or not.  There is a website called www.sharecare.com that you can sign up for free and it will ask you a bunch of questions and it can generate an exercise plan to fit your needs and what you want to achieve.  I would also consider finding a gym that might have a personal trainer that can help you.  Sometimes some gyms offer a free consultation that at least you can meet with a trainer and get some ideas from them as they can evaluate you in person.  The website will also give you a calorie requirement based on how often you will work out so that can help you too.  Hope that helps and good luck!

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway