Strength Training/proper deadlifting

Question
Hello,

I have a couple of questions regarding the deadlift.

I've seen some people dropping the weights entirely ( so the plates touch the floor ) in each repetition when performing deadlifts.

Does it have any difference from doing the deadlifts without dropping the weights to the floor?

Also, how can I progressively increase the weights in my deadlifts and avoid a plateau?

Thank you

Answer
Hi jake.

When you see people deadlifting and dropping the weight when they lift the barbell they are using the concentric portion of the exercise. When you go back down on the deadlift your muscles are working eccentrically against gravity to slow and stop the movement. Both are important because if you are working your body only concentrically, it will not  properly prepare the body. Also eccentric actions have been proven to provide an important function for muscle growth stimulation. Im not saying to focus on one, focus on both. Exercises should be done in a controlled fashion, if you cant control it and use proper form whats the point of the exercise?thats how i see it. I see some powerlifters doing 1 reps and dropping the weight, thats more sport oriented.

A way to avoid plateaus is to use the 2 for 2  rule.. lets say you have been training for a week or 2 and first started doing 8 reps of deadlifts with 155lbs of 2 sets and now can comfortably do  an extra 2 repituons 10, you would increase the weight to 158-160lbs so you would be able to again achieve the 8 rep range. Or you could also instead do another set. You either increase the intensity or the volume, depending on your goal whether its strength/ endurance/ muscle gain.

Another way to avoid plateaus is to change up your exercises every 4-6 weeks.this is because your body adapts to the exercise stimulus resulting in less potential gains. So lets say you were deadlifting for a month doing 8-10 reps of 2 sets.. you would change the exercise that works similar muscle groups of back extension, or opposite arm and opposite leg  spinal extension and stiff leg deadlifts. Id recommend doing more reps for these exercises and not to go as heavy between 12-20 reps.

Typically if your goal is go gain muscle you would shoot between 8-12 reps, for endurance and stabilization 12-20 and for strength 1-7 reps.

Hope this helps.  

Strength Training

Daniel