Strength Training/Getting back into shape

Question
Hey there Joe,

I'm an 18 year old, 5'4 female of 105 pounds. I've been thin my entire life and eat a very we'll balanced diet. I've always been athletic and love working out and i just have two quick questions for you.

1. Are there any particular strength training exercises that are better suited for thinner builds like myself that are more successful in toning?
2. I'm running a 10k in May, I was a cross runner for quite a few years but haven't been doing much running in the passed few months, would you just suggest me to jog for longer each time to get back to my previous endurance level?

Thanks so much for you're time.
Cheers,
Hayley

Answer
Hi Hayley, I suggest you strength train with 2-3 sets of 8-12 reps with 1-2 mins rest between sets. I would do a whole body workout 3 days a week with exercises like incline press, lat pull, leg press or squats, leg curls, arm curls, tricep extensions, hyperextensions, core exercises, etc. For your 10k training I would run 5-6 days a week with 3-4 easy runs, 1-2 faster runs, and 1 long run. Increase your distance about 10% weekly. To do a complete training program is difficult in this forum due to lack of personal info on your present conditioning level. If you would just google 10k training you will get a number of good programs.

Strength Training

Joe Gunn