Strength Training/Lifestyle change

Question
I'm hoping you can help me. While I'm not overly out of shape, I am a little over weight and my endurance sucks. I don't want to join a gym and couldn't really afford to anyways.
What I'm looking for is to tone my body and get some upper body strength. I've started doing sit ups and push ups but was wondering what else I could add to that and just roughly how many of those I should be doing in a day. I also have bad knees so anything that would be high impact wouldn't be ideal.
I'm also trying to eat healthier without turning into a health nut like my sister and boyfriend. Which pretty much means I want to still be able to eat junk food should the desire strike me (not a desire I get all that often any more) and not have to look all that closely on the nutritional information on a box of food before I buy it.
Any advice you can give would be helpful. I'm 24 and weigh approximately 150ish lbs (like I said, overweight but not massively so).

Answer
Hi Megan,
The information you gave me is somewhat vague but I'll try to do my best to answer your questions.  You say you want to get toned but you didn't say if you really want to lose weight or how much weight and how tall you are.  Doing sit ups and push ups is a start...how many?  See how many you can do in a row (with correct form) before you feel like you can't do any more.  This should be around 10-20 and you would rest and then try it 2 more times.  To lose overall fat you would need to do some type of cardio for 20-30 minutes per day a few days per week and you should always try to do all over body toning exercises as just focusing on two areas wouldn't be beneficial.  I would recommend something like this type of at home workout: http://exercise.about.com/cs/exerciseworkouts/l/bltotalworkout.htm
This will help you build muscle all over which will help build your metabolism.  
As far as nutrition goes, you don't have to be a total health nut but if you find you can't lose weight this is a big area to look at.  Total daily calories can have a significant impact on your overall body figure.  So if you exercise and are not losing weight then you are consuming too many calories.  Hope this helps and let me know if you have any more questions.  Good luck!

Strength Training

Kristina Crossway