Strength Training/2 day workout routine

Question
Dear Brandon,

I have reason to believe that im on the right adres to ask my questions about workout. I have read several articles that with my body posture it is best suited to workout 2 times a week and have a 2 day break interval. I have now googled around and tried to find 2 day full body workout exercises and found some good articles on it.

My main issue is that I do not have all the equipments neccecary for those workouts on those pages(barbell)

here is the link I use "http://www.muscleandstrength.com/workouts/2-day-simple-ab-split-by-steve.html"

Is there a possibility to exchange certain workouts and focus solely on using (body strength) Push ups, Pull ups and dumbbells?

I would really appreciate a good workout routine with good effect that only takes 2 days of my week( I use 1-2 days for jogging)

Thank you for your effort,

Regards Dion van der Loon

Answer
Hi Dion!

Thanks for the question. I'm a big advocate of total body strength training workouts for most individuals. Total body workouts can be very efficient and effective when done properly. Two to three days per week is sufficient for most people to experience consistent gains in strength.

For the majority of my clients, I prefer bodyweight exercises. Even my professional athletes mostly focus on bodyweight only movements in workouts. Learning to control your body and use correct movement patterns is possibly the most important aspect of any strength training program.

Another key factor is progression. At first, you will experience some good gains in muscular strength and endurance but, you will need to increase difficulty to continue making progress. There are plenty of variations of bodyweight movements to increase difficulty. For example, when bodyweight squats are mastered and you can do a lot of repetitions, you can switch to single-leg squats.

Here is an example of a bodyweight workout that hits all the major muscle groups:

Bodyweight squat  3 sets x 15 reps
Pushups          3 sets x 10 reps
Reaching RDL      3 sets x 10 reps
Prone T,W,Y,V     1 set of 20 each supersetted with
   Bear crawls,10yds forward, 10yds back
Bench hip thrust  3 sets of 15 reps
RKC plank         3 sets of 10 seconds

Some of my clients use that for a quick, effective workout. There are a lot of good demos of each exercise on YouTube and I recently added a channel specifically for my online personal training clients so all those exercises will be on my channel as well. The focus is on movement quality so sets and reps can be adjusted to ensure good form is done on each repetition. Exercises can be added or substituted with different variations. Another option once technique has been mastered is to do the whole workout as a circuit.

Hope this helps! Good luck on your exercise program.  

Strength Training

Brandon Aldan