Strength Training/Full body workout and diet routine

Hey Adam,

I have been following a workout for strengthening the muscles. This workout seems to be working pretty well.

Bodyweight squat 3 sets x 15 reps
Pushups 3 sets x 10 reps
Reaching RDL 3 sets x 10 reps
Prone T,W,Y,V 1 set of 20 each supersetted with
Bear crawls,10yds forward, 10yds back
Bench hip thrust 3 sets of 15 reps
RKC plank 3 sets of 10 seconds

2x per week

I have a problem. I am a person with incredible fast metabolism and I cant seem to keep any muscle gain from every exercise I do.

I would like some suggestions on intake of food,

At this moment my diet looks like this

5.15 - 3 Bread with cheese and chicken slice,

8.30 Fruit,

8.50 3 Bread Chicken ham

12.00 Oatmeal with milk

15.00 Main food (vegetables rice or pasta and sauce.

17.00/17.30 4 Bread with cheese and chicken or Tuna/onion or Salmon

19.30 Ricecrackers or such. I eat eggs either in the evening or morning 1-2 every other day I also intake fruits 2+3 a day
My food consist only out of wholegrain items

My problem is that I have difficulty digesting to heavy fatty food and sugars. My intake of sugar is almost nothing at this moment. But I have a feeling I still eat enough. I seem to be taking ok-ish Proteins but im not sure. Is there some food pattern you might suggest or some foods I should be implanting in my food to make sure I keep my muscles..? I prefer not to take any shakes neither can I have red meat.

Mainly I bike 2x15 minutes to my work on a good pace and I have manual work(cleaning) I also tend to walk 1-2-3 times a day for an average of 10-30 minutes a day.

Am I having enough nutrition?

Greetings dion,

The simple answer is no you aren't eating enough.

It doesn't seem like your exercise is super intense to the point where you are burning tons of calories that need to be compensated for.  But it is obvious that you burn a decent amount of calories.

Looking at what you eat there are a couple suggestions I can make.  One make sure you are eating protein at most meals that you eat, whether it be chicken breasts, fish, or nuts can be used in a pinch as a snack.  I prefer almonds.

The second thing would be if you have the protein covered at most meals then you need to increase your calories a little bit at certain meals.  I would start off maybe increasing some food at one meal or two a day.  Add another carbohydrate.  Maybe a whole grain bread, another potato, brown rice, some more fruit.  Try that for a few weeks and see if it influences the scale.

If not, then you need to increase more or add another snack let's say before you go to bed.  Maybe a sandwich.  A peanut butter jelly sandwich or one of the chicken breast sandwiches you are making.  

I say increase it a little bit over time because you don't want it to be added as extra fat, but muscle.

Hope that helps.

Strength Training

Adam Kessler

USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach and Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist. I have 16 years experience in the industry and now run my own personal training company.

I am a speed expert. I can answer questions in regards to how to get faster and or quicker. If you are an athlete, I can also help you with your strength training routine. Understanding how you need to workout to get stronger will also help you get faster as well.

Please Note: I cannot give out any type of exercise programs. I can give advice, but don't ask me to give you an off-season workout or program to do at home. I know nothing about you and cannot give information like that over this forum. You might misinterpret what I'm saying, get hurt, and I get in trouble. Ask specific questions. I do have a document you can download that discusses the basics of losing and gaining weight. Please click here to download this document.

I have a nice report that discusses what you would need to do to be successful with your speed program. I also have highlighted over 100 athletes and coaches that have worked with me and the success they have had with my speed program. Some of them, we have documented the exact improvements in their running times to illustrate what an awesome program this is. It is called The Secrets to Their Success and you can check it out at for more information.

You can follow me on Twitter at

Also, become a fan of my Facebook Fan Page, by clicking here Fitness Planning Consultants, Inc.

I have had over 16 years of experience in the health and fitness field. The last 9, I started and have been running my own personal training company. I was also the head strength coach of an area high school for 4 years before committing to my company full-time.

I am a member of the National Strength and Conditioning Association. I also belong to USA Weightlifting.

I have been the feature of several articles in Columbus Business First and Mid-Ohio Golfer. I have written articles for various online article directories which can be found by Google searching my name. I have done speakings at several state and local clinics for strength and conditioning.

B.A. at Indiana University (1994)
Certified Strength and Conditioning Specialist
USA Weightlifting Sport Performance Coach