Strength Training/Machines vs plates

Question
I have been going to the gym for 5 months now. I had to give up using the weight plate machines because the increase in weights. From 10 lbs, to 20, many times 30 pounds. I think those 10-20 pound increases in weight is just too much difference for my body to condition to. So I bought fractional plates and increase what I lift by 1 pound per week. Less pain at the gym, and afterwards at home.

Have you read anything about big increases vs small increases in lifting weight?

Answer
I've always been told that you can tell the real smart lifters by how many small plates they have on their weight stack.  Meaning, you get to a certain level and your body can make a better adaptation with smaller increases than larger ones.  So I think you are right on point with the increases.  I will improve 2.5 to 5 pounds when I can handle a certain weight so maybe you can try that.

Strength Training

Adam Kessler