Strength Training/benefits of bench dips and standing dips

hi daniel,

iam rahul..i'm a fitness freak..i had got a serious doubt concerning the muscles engaged during bench dips and standing dips..please clear my doubt concering the workouts mentioned above..also please tell me if over head shoulder press retards anyone's height...
         thank u..

Hey Rahul,

I am not a big fan of dips to be honest (it puts your shoulder muscle at a vulnerable position if not careful and can increase your risk of injury). However if you do use them remember to maintain proper form and do a proper warm up.

Seated dips and bench dips are similar in the fact they both work the tricep muscle however in the seated dip the arms are in a less comfortable position. In the standing dip, you can lean forward to get chest activation going on at the same time but also there is more you can do to accommodate range of motion when you bring your arm back in shoulder extension for the standing dip, that is why out of the two I prefer standing dip. (if you have tight shoulders, you might not have a good range in the shoulders when your doing the exercise). The shoulder must be stable to perform the action of the dip, if there is an imbalance this can cause an increased chance to injury.

As for shoulder press, it does not retards someone's height but it also increases the risk of injury because it puts the shoulder capsule at a vulnerable position. If interested in shoulder development look at land mine exercises (it is a good alternative). I am not saying to avoid shoulder pressing but you need a good range of motion in the shoulder to use this exercise.

Hope this helps

Strength Training

I can answer Strength training questions, Fitness, sports specific training, injury rehabilitation and lifestyle behavior changes.

I train primarily athletes and regular people who need to get back in a fitness routine.

NSCA; The National Strength and Conditioning Association ACSM; The American College of Sports Medicine CSEP; The Canadian Society of Exercise Physiology NASM; The National Academy of Sports Medicine

You can find more of my material at for further information on how to start building yourself, improve your body and live better.

I am an Exercise Scientist & Strength and Conditioning coach with 6 specializations/credentials, - Strength Conditioning Specialist with the National Strength and Conditioning Association, primarily dealing with athletic performance training. - Corrective Exercise specialist (CES) and Sports Performance Coach (PES) with the National Academy of Sports Medicine. - An Health fitness Specialist with the American College Of Sports Medicine - An Exercise Physiologist with CSEP. -TRX Group Qualified instructor.