Strength Training/Cutting and Bulking

Question
Hi Adam,

I have recently started taking nutrition and exercise more seriously, but it seems like everything you read on the internet is full of macho pseudoscience. So I'm not sure what advice to follow.

I'm 22, 6'3" and I weigh about 185 pounds. I've always been skinny, but my metabolism has slowed down and my body fat isn't what it used to be. My chest is a bit flabby and I have a layer of fat around the belly button area. I've been working out 4 times a week, isolating each muscle group, with the occasional cardio. So far I've added 20 pounds to my bench press weight, and I walk with my dad and brother just for fun all the time -- 3 miles-ish at a time (not much, I know).

My goal is to bulk up and lose fat at the same time. So my question is, what kind of nutrition and workouts should I do?

Thanks Adam

Answer
The workout is important, but not nearly as much as your diet.  If your diet isn't spot on, then what you want to accomplish is going to take a lot longer.  With your workout, make sure you are doing all the body parts (legs included).  4 times a week seems fine not knowing entirely what you are doing, but I am going to focus on the nutrition.

I would try to get some type of protein in each meal (lean meat, chicken/turkey breast, fish, almond butter, protein mix).  I would try to eat frequently throughout the day like once every 3 hours or so.  Eat veggies with as many meals as possible.  For carbs, I would try to get them from baked/sweet potatoes, rice, fruit.  Try to eat as much whole food as possible and supplement when you need to (meal replacement shakes or bars).  It is tough to bulk up AND cut at the same time, but the key would be to eat clean and monitor the fat intake (especially the saturated fats).  

If you can eat frequently, it will increase your metabolism helping you to burn fat and at the same time if you eat enough add muscle to your frame.  Let me know if you have other questions.

Strength Training

Adam Kessler