Strength Training/Weaker leg

Question
Hi Adam,

I am doing some strength training on my own and have noticed my right leg is significantly stronger than my left. Squats are one of my favourite exercises, but I've noticed I feel it a lot more in my right leg, and something feels off going down, like a slight shift to my left if I'm not consciously stopping it. I've also noticed I have a lot more tightness in my right hip flexor (I believe that's what it is?) when I try to do a butterfly sit. The left leg is basically touching the ground, and right is nowhere close. As well, my left hamstring is tighter than the right. I've been working on stretching to improve this but wondering if either of these things could be the cause?

I've also started doing single leg squats (With assistance) to focus more on my left leg but was wondering if it's okay to still continue with normal squats and just give the left leg more attention with the single leg squats? Should I only allow the right leg to do as much as my left leg can do? Or just focus on the one leg until it's evened out? Any other suggestions would be great!

Thank you,
Jasmine

Answer
If there truly is a difference between the right and left side, then maybe forego the squats and focus on some single leg squats or lunges which both help focus on the leg strength.  Only progress as fast as the weaker leg is progressing.  I also might look into seeing if there is someone around who could do a body analysis of why the one side is stronger than the other.  Maybe there are some flexibility or strength imbalances beyond just what you see that need to be addressed.  Maybe someone who can perform a functional movement screen on you or someone who can do a movement analysis in your area might help.

Strength Training

Adam Kessler