Strength Training/Wrestling

I know that this question may be sort of strange, but I tried asking a wrestling expert this question, and he never got back to me. I promise that this question is legitimate and has everything to do with wrestling, and nothing else. Me and my girlfriend are somewhat competetive, and really would like an experts opinion of this question. I know that this is not your area of expertise, but I would like your honest opinion, and we will both respect your opinion, no matter what it is. I was hoping that you could give us your best answer,as it is important to us as competetors.

My girlfriend and I  have wrestled each other on several occasions. Most of the time , nobody ever really wins. However on 2 occasions there have been a winner.

On occasion 1: We started off wrestling. My girfriend immediately gets behind me and tries to pull me down. I tried to get out of the grip, but failed. She did manage to get me down and get on top, but we were off the mat. So we decided that the fairest thing to do was to get back on the mat and resume our positions. She got back on top and was fairly quickly able to hold my arms down for a 3 second pin. She probably could have held me there for longer, but we declared her the winner that time.

On occasion 2: We started off wrestling. My girlfriend did not try to get behind me this time, and I was able to get her down after a ltlle wrestling. I tried to pin her just by holding her shoulders down, but I did not get on top. She repeatedly was able to lift her shoulders out of the pin attempt. Finally, I was able to count to 3 and win this match, but not by getting on top. It felt as if she just stopped trying.

So , on the 2 occasions that we did have results, we are tied with victories. We have since wrestled a few more times, and nobody seems to win. I can get her down, but she will not stay pinned. She has never tried to get behind me, like she did that first victory (and was able to take me down)... for some reason, she stopped trying that. So, she has not been able to get on top again. Just as a side note. At the time she weighed around 260 lbs. and I weighed probably around 210 lbs. I am 5' 7" and she is about 5' 6". So she does outweigh me. She does not workout and neither do I. Our question is:  Given this information.... who do you think is the better wrestler? and who do you think is stronger? We don't know if her weight was the reason why she was able to pin me or was it just good wrestling. When she pinned me, she was on top, but she used her arms , but it also felt as if she was using her weight as well to keep me down.She said that she did not use her weight,because she was leaning forward and her weight was not on my shoulders. When I pinned her, I was using just my arms, without getting on top,and it felt as if she just gave up. So, if you could help us decide who is the better wrestler and who is stronger, it would really help us out. We really want a good un-biased answer and we both will accept any decision you make.Oh, and did we do the right thing by resuming the first match in the positions that we were in when we went off the mat. In other words...was it a legitimate victory by her? Thank you for your time.... Joe"""

Hi Joe,
yes I do think that your girlfriends victory was legitimate.
As for who is the stronger  and better wrestler-it could come down to several things-leverage being the most important. If you grab someone from behind and flip them, the you will have the advantage.Positioning is very important in wrestling.
Some wrestling victories do not matter who is stronger or better-its is positioning/leverage.
However, that being said-based upon your info-i think that you are stronger and the better wrestler ,Joe.

Strength Training

Bonnie Hardie

I am a personal trainer/boot camp instructor in SouthEast Florida. I am certified in: personal training,aerobics,nutrition,womens,senior,youth and boot camp fitness.I can answer questions about workouts,sets and reps,pyramid training,drop sets,etc.I can tell you what to look for when planning to join a gym. Please do not ask me to design a weight training program for you thru this forum.If you want me to design a program for you--please sign up for online personal training:

I have been a personal trainer,aerobics instructor,nutrition advisor and boot camp instructor for several years,in South Florida.
I generally prefer to train people outdoors in a park setting.The workout outside is just as tough as a gym workout.I can give people a excellent workout using just their bodyweight.I do a bootcamp style class with groups of 5-10 people.

Certified: Personal Trainer Aerobics Instructor Indoor Cycling Nutrition Advisor