Stress Management/feeling drained

I recently took on a new job where I am using my skills in a clinical setting.  I teach Tai Chi and have been using many of the ancillary techniques and exercises as an alternative/integrative therapy.  Things have been going well.  However, I have one issue I am hoping you might be able to offer some suggestions on.  Many of the people I am working closely with are, understandably, highly negative.  Some of them have things such as Borderline Personality Disorder.  Consequently I find that I am extremely drained after a short time with one person.  I am trying to avoid burn out and I am wondering if there are any techniques, methods, thoughts, etc., that I can use to shield myself from this negative energy.  Iíd like to stay at this for a while but if I canít shield myself somehow I donít see this as a path I can sustain for long, which would be a shame.  I look forward to any suggestions you might have.  Thank you and have a great day.  

I totlly understand your situation. I am a trained stress advisor and so i can spend my days listening to extremely sad and distressing stories every day. Also the energy i have to give to try and help my clients can also be extremely drainig.

It is importnat that you help yourself cope with this my keeping yourself both physically and mentally fit. So you need to take time out in your day to make sure you eat well and have time to relax. Breathing exercises are great for helping your body relax. Meditation may also help you let go of some of your client pressures. As you know you need to practice these techniques to get the most benefit from them.

I have a web site where i have lots of information about stress and how to cope with it. Everyone responds to different methods of stress relief and so it is importnat for your to take a look at all the options and to find the one that will fit into your life. The more you undersatnd about stress and how it affects you the better you will be able to cope with it.

Please take a look through my site and I hope you can find solutions for your situation.

Stress Management

Kate Tilmouth

I can answer most stress related questions, including Anxiety and Panic attacks, PTSD and general stress related issues. My main aim is to provide you with techniques and information regarding how best you can manage your stress levels on a day to day basis and so reduce effects such as Physical or emotional illness which can arise when stress is not managed. I am not able to give advice about medical conditions which need treatment from a doctor, such as heart conditions etc.

I am a qualified Stress Advisor (RCN accredited and CPD certificated). I have had many years in the public sector and am very client focused. My main aim is to provide concise, clear help and information to those seeking help managing their stress levels and any other related concerns. I also run my own stress relief web site

I am a platinum member of Ezinearticles

RCN accredited (stress Advisor) CPD certificated Educated to High School level and have since worked for many years in a customer support based environment, gaining vocational qualifications.

Currently work as a freelance stress advisor for my local area, many of my client are referred to me via the local health service.