Stretching & Flexibility/Stretching vs. weight lifting

I am 53. I was always pretty flexible until a couple years ago. I am a weekend athelete, and have been getting a lot more pulled muscles lately. My legs especially, and I am still recovering from strained knee ligaments.
I am wondering if I should focus my exercise routine, other than cardio, on stretching.
At 53, I dont really need to build any more muscle. Some experts say  you have to lift weights to maintain muscle mass and keep your metabolism up, I am not sure I agree with that-I seem to lose weight when I focus on diet and dont even work out.
I have some time set aside each day for a low impact cardio workout, and have been thinking about skipping the weights and doing a comprhensive stretching routine.
I recently saw a physiotherapist about my knees, and she said my muscles were very tight-especially my legs.I wonder if the focus on weights caused this?
Thanks for your thoughts!

Hi Bud,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

I would definitely recommend that you incorporate stretching into your workouts. I don't think you need to give up on the weights all together, but maybe just cut back a little and add some stretching to your cool down at the end of your workouts.

Here's a few suggestions for incorporating stretching into your workouts....

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix and
The Stretching Institute

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.