Stretching & Flexibility/Inner thigh/groin pain

A few weeks ago I was squating (heavy for me 5-6 rep range) when my upper inner thigh/ groin area started to hurt in my left leg, it only hurt when I was doing squats and only at the top of the rep. A few weeks later the pain got worse and spread to both hips inner thigh/ groin area, it got so bad I had to quit squating, it only hurt when I was doing squats and only on the way up at the top portion of the rep. I cannot offord to go to the doctor so I really hope you can give me some advise (other than go see a doc. Lol). Heres a few things I think would help to give you an idea what could have happened, I squat with a slightly wider than shoulder width stance with my toes pointed slightly outward and I squat down til my hips are just below parallel to the ground. I squat with a weight that's heavy for me 185lbs (week legs, iv only been training my legs for about 6 mon.) I workout first thing in the morning about 30 min after I wake up, I workout out side and it's pretty cold. Here's where I think I went wrong, it's cold out side I just woke up and all I have been doing for a warm up is a few body weight exercises (jumping jacks; high knees; bodyweight squats; trunk twists ect,) then 3 warm up sets of squats progressively adding weight till I reach my workout weight then I begin my workout, I thought this was a good warm up but it's so cold I don't even brake a sweat. I'm currently not doing squats or any lower body work, no stretching. It only hurts when I do squats only at the top of the rep (just befor I straighten out at the top and stand up straight), other than that it dosent hurt tho I do feel something in my inner thigh/groin area not a pain more of a stretch not sure how to explain it. Please help!

Hi John,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Without being able to consult with you personally I can't be 100% sure, but it sounds like you may have a very minor muscle strain that is causeing the pain.

There's a few things you can do; heat and massage will help to speed up the repair process and get rid of any scar tissue that may have formed. There's more information in the articles below. The first one is specifically about groin strain and the second one is about strain / sprain injury rehab in general...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix and
The Stretching Institute

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.