Stretching & Flexibility/How to stretch for martial arts.

Question
I would like to ask your opinion on stretching for Mixed Martial Arts. I am currently fighting but struggling because I am extremely inflexible. I have begun to stretch using the 'Stretch to Win' system which I am sure you are familiar with (Daily static stretching using rhythmic breathing to deepen the stretch). However this has had little effect over two month.

Please could you recommend a stretching regime that will allow me to head kick, and develop the high level of flexibility needed for Brazilian Jiu Jitsu, the ground fighting aspect of MMA. thanks

Answer
Hi James,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

Here's a few suggestions....

Firstly, work on strength as well as flexibility. As the strength of your muscles improves so will your flexibility. Strength and flexibility are inter-related.

Secondly, don't do the same stretches everyday; include a variety of stretches for all your muscle groups. If you need samples of different stretches, take a look at the videos at the link below.....
http://injuryfix.com/stretching-videos.php

Also, try to do most of your flexibility training at the end of your work-outs as part of your cool-down, or in the evening. This will help to improve your flexibility permanently.

And lastly, long hold (60+ seconds) static stretching and PNF Stretching are the most effective forms of stretching for improving your flexibility quickly and permanently. You can find more detailed information about how to perform PNF stretches at the link below...
http://injuryfix.com/archives/pnf-stretching.php

One other thing; I've put together a top 10 list of tips for achieving the splits, which you can read at the link below...
http://injuryfix.com/archives/how-to-do-splits.php

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix and
The Stretching Institute

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)