Stretching & Flexibility/Cramping

Hello. I'm a 43 year old female who cannot seem to figure out how to stop cramping when I'm power walking on my treadmill AND outside. The first 15 mins are great, but then my calves start tightening up, the pain moves to my shins and rushes into the arches of my feet and my toes. I stretch for at least 15 mins each leg prior to working out. I rub BenGay on my calves. I take 1 tsp. liquid potassium, 3 tablets daily of Zeel, and GNC liquid TriFlex. My time could be so much better if I didn't have to stop and rub and re-stretch. Odd thing is, I wear 4 to 5 inch heels and my feet feel great. When I wear flats, I'm in discomfort. Is this my body telling me something or is this a shoe issue? Thank you in advance.

Hi Carice,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

The best form of treatment for a muscle spasm or cramp is heat, massage and very gentle static stretching. I have a more complete article at the link below that goes into a lot more detail and also offers some advise for preventing cramps as well...

If you're on a low salt or no salt diet I would highly recommend that you add a small amount of mineral salt to your cooking, such as sea salt or Celtic salt.

As for the question about your shoes; I'm really not sure, and the only way to tell would be to stop wearing heels for a while and see if that helps.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.