Stretching & Flexibility/Increasing Hip Flexibility

Hi Brad

I would like to know how to increase hip flexibility.  I work out (interval training) 3-5 days/week, stretch every day, and I have seen incredible gains in flexibility over the past few years-- everywhere except my hips!  Especially my right hip.  My butterfly stretch stops 2 inches from the floor on my left, and 5 inches on my right, with similar shortcomings in lunges and splits.  I'm no gymnast, but I am proud of my gains in flexibility, and would like to push myself more completely.  Can you offer any advice?

Hi Tara,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

I recently wrote an article titled: 4 tips for improving your flexibility when you think you can't improve your flexibility. You can read the article at the following link...

The article covers things like: warming up; when to stretch; variety; types of stretching, etc. (And BTW, one of the best times to stretch is just before going to bed.)

As for different stretches that you can do for your hips and groin, take a look at our free stretching videos here...

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.