Stretching & Flexibility/lower back and thighs

Can you give me a couple of stretches for my situation? My lower back gets tight from driving all day, and this is compounded by my belly.
What happens is, when standing, I am unable to lift my knees straight up verticly without having them splay out to the side. When I try to keep them straight I can only get up so far.
Is not so bad except for the fact I coach hockey and soccer, and this keeps me from skating and dribbling as well as I could before I got fat and started driving for a living.
Hockey skating crossovers are difficult, and I can no longer juggle a soccer ball, which requires the top of your foot to stay level with the ground.
Thanks for any help!

Hi Bud,

Thanks for your inquiry. It's a pleasure to help and I hope the following is beneficial.

My first thought when reading your question was that you have over-developed abductors and external rotators around your hips, which is most likely the major contributor to your lower back pain and tightness.

Two recommendations for helping with this: Firstly, improve the flexibility of these areas (hips, buttocks, lower back, abductors). At the link below you'll find a few videos of stretches for the muscle groups you need to work on...

Lower Back:

And secondly, strengthen your groin and adductors. This will help to balance and even-up the strength difference between the outside of your hips and the inside (groin) of your hips. If you do a search on YouTube for "groin exercises" or "groin strengthening exercises" or "adductor exercises" there are heaps you can choose from.

I hope the above has been helpful. For more information on stretching, flexibility and sports injury management, visit Injury Fix.

Brad Walker
Founder & CEO
Injury Fix and
The Stretching Institute

Stretching & Flexibility

Brad Walker (The Stretch Coach)

I'm more than happy to answer any questions relating to stretching, flexibility and sports injury management. Including how to use stretching to improve your athletic performance, prevent sports injury and aid in the recovery of sports injury.

I'm an internationally recognized stretching and sports injury consultant with more than 20 years of practical experience in the health and fitness industry. I'm also the founder of the Stretching Institute and

Sports Medicine Australia

I've written 5 books on stretching, flexibility and sports injury, including... The Stretching Handbook (ISBN: 978-0958109338), The Anatomy of Stretching (ISBN: 978-1556435966) and The Anatomy of Sports Injuries (ISBN: 978-1556436666). Plus, I've had numerous articles published at, and

I'm a health science graduate of the University of New England, with post graduate accreditation's in athletics, swimming and triathlon coaching. I've worked with elite level and world champion athletes and I've lectured for Sports Medicine Australia on sports injury prevention and treatment.

I've worked as assistant coach to Miles Stewart (World Champion Triathlete) and Mick Doohan (World 500cc Motorcycle Champion). Plus I've worked with countless other athletes from sports as diverse as roller-skating, squash, and cycling.